So today I was in the mood for something different.
Something I’ve never had before.
And this ‘breakfast’ cake definitely delivered on being different.
We went over to our friends Tim and Annie’s house a few weeks ago for dinner and Tim made a bacon apple pie. Nuts right?
It was ahhmazing! The best apple pie I’ve ever had. So it totally got me hooked on bacon in sweets.
It’s weird and delicious.
And I’m all about weird. Unfortunately my husband is not.
He’s not very adventures when it comes to weird.
So I totally expected that he would not like this.
When I served it I told him to have at lease 2 bites before he says that he doesn’t like it.
Well he had one bite and said “Well this isn’t bad.” and continued to lick the plate clean.
Even though he hates blueberries. And by hate I mean HATE! He dispises them.
One suggestion that he gave me was to substiture chocolate chips for the blueberries next time and then it would be perfect.
Chocolate and bacon cake for breakfast? Now that’s quite an idea…
So anyways! Here’s the review:
Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake
Comments: This is definitely really tasty and different! Definitely out of the box. In each bite you get the tartness of the blueberries, the sweet cream cheese glaze and the smokiness of the bacon!
Negatives: Yes I know it’s a ‘breakfast’ cake so it shouldn’t be very sweet but I think just a teeny tiny bit more sugar would’ve been nice. And unfortunately not everyone will love this cake because it’s just a little weird. I love weird so it worked for me but I can see how others might not love it. But if you like blueberries you should enjoy it! :)
Will I make this again? I think this is one of those things that you make ones just because it’s so out of the box. I’d probably make it again if I have guests for brunch and want to serve something unique but probably won’t make it just for ourselves.
Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake
Serves: 12 (I halved the recipe when I made it and baked it in 8×8 dish)
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. bacon fat, cooled
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk (used almond)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz blueberries (if using frozen thaw and dry with a paper towel)
- Fry the bacon in skillet until super crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Save 2tbsp bacon grease and discard the rest.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl combine butter, bacon fat and sugar. Whisk in the eggs until combined and then stir in vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir until just combined.
- Add the milk and stir to combine.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Pour the mixture into 9×13 greasd baking dish and bake for 30-33* mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- With a toothpick poke holes all over the cake and pour the glaze.
For the glaze:
- 4oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp. milk
- In a bowl of electric mixer beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat to combine.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- If too thick add the milk 1tbsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- If too thin add a little more powdered sugar.
- Pour over the cake.
*If you make the cake in 8×8 dish bake for 23-25mins.