So I’ve blogged about these chicken tacos before and I think they are worth mentioning again.
But this time I used a homemade taco seasoning.
I know I’m a total overachiever. Not.
I ran out of store bought taco seasoning and didn’t feel like running to the store so I figured with hundreds of spices in my pantry I should have everything that I need to make my own.
And sure enough I had everything I needed.
It took no time at all to make but I think it made a big difference flavor-wise.
Store bought taco seasoning to me is usually very salty so by making your own you can control what you put in it.
But these tacos seriously blow my mind every time I make them.
So little work, so few ingredients and soo much flavor!
You need these in your life!
Chicken Tacos Review:
Comments: Super easy, yummy chicken recipe that takes no prep time and it’s definitely a crowd pleaser!
Will I make these again? Yes made them dozens of times and will make them again!
Mexican Rice Review
Comments: This rice side dish is probably the most flavorful rice I’ve ever had! Easy to make and fingerlicking delicious!
Negatives: Absolutely none
Will I make this again? Most def!
Easy Crockpot Chicken Tacos and Mexican Rice
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 8 oz salsa
- Taco Seasoning:
- 2 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- Combine all the taco seasoning ingredients together in a bowl.
- Place the chicken, salsa and taco seasoning in the crockpot.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6hrs or on HIGH for 3hrs.
- Shred the chicken.
For the rice:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- half a small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Add oil to a pot and heat over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onions and cook until translucent (about 5mins)
- Add garlic and sauce for 30 seconds.
- Seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add the salsa, rice and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down, cover with a lid and simmer for 20-25mins or until rice is tender.
corn taco shells, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes
- Fill taco shell with shredded chicken, top with some cheddar and bake at 375F until the cheese melts.
- Top with lettuce and tomatoes.
- Serve with rice.
Chicken tacos, taco seasoning and Mexican rice(slightly adapted) from: Iowa Girl Eats